Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

Crock Pot of Gold

When I was 22 and newly married, I jumped right in at church and volunteered to teach the Wednesday night teen girls’ class.  Part of that meant inheriting a longstanding “soup and sandwich” supper that raised money for missions.  The idea was that the old leaders had spent all day making soup and sandwiches and the teen girls had shown up to serve the food and collect donations. 

The problem was I didn’t know how to make soup and I wasn’t even that good at making a sandwich.  Lucky for me being a teacher means creative ideas come naturally, so I reworked the concept and ten years ago the “soup and sandwich” supper became the Crock Pot of Gold Dinner.  It’s a lot less work for me and a lot more fun for everyone else, and this year we raised over $800- not too shabby for a small church like ours. 

The idea is that everyone brings a crock pot meal to share, and we place a labeled cup beside one.  Everyone samples as many as they can and places their donation in the cup belonging to their favorite crock pot.  We always hold the event close to St. Patrick’s Day, thus the theme.  It’s easy and it pretty much runs itself since everyone pitches in.


If you need any easy spring fundraising idea, I’d suggest you give it a try.  Email me for sign-up sheets and signs and look for some clearance decorations to save for next year. 






Abby tried them all!

Of course, I did my nails for the occasion. J

No comments:

Post a Comment